(Photo credit: Philip Sharkey) By Scott Gilfoid: Having been knocked out twice in a row in his last two fights has done nothing to diminish George Groves’ self-belief apparently, because he feels that he’s going to not only beat EBU super middleweight champion Christopher Rebrasse (22-2-3, 6 KOs) tonight in their WBC 168 pound title eliminator, but he’s then going to go on and beat the talented WBC super middleweight champion Anthony Dirrell (27-0, 22 KOs) to take his strap from him.
Groves thinks that Dirrell’s disgust at the potential of him having to defend his title against a fighter with two recent knockouts is a sign that Dirrell is afraid of him rather than him believing that the World Boxing Council has cheapened their own title by lowering the standards for which a fighter can fight for their belt. Read the rest of this entry »
By Dan Ambrose: Former IBF/WBO featherweight champion Orlando Salido (41-12-2, 28 KOs) successfully made weight on Friday in weighing in at 130 pounds for the interim WBO super featherweight title against 33-year-old former world title challenger Terdsak Kokietgym (53-4-1, 33 KOs) on Saturday night at the Auditorio Municipal Fausto Gutiérrez Moreno, in Tijuana, Baja California, Mexico.
#2 WBO Kokietgym also weighed in at 130 pounds for the fight. #1 WBO Salido is trying to get in position to fight a rematch against WBO super featherweight champion Mikey Garcia, who beat him by an 8th round technical decision last year in January in a fight in which Salido looked to be taking control of at the time that Mikey bowed out of the fight with a broken nose in the 8th. Read the rest of this entry »
By Scott Gilfoid: Boxing manager Sam Watson says that nobody wants to fight former IBF/WBA light welterweight champion Amir Khan (29-3, 19 KOs). Watson says that fighters talk about wanting to fight Khan, but then they fail to show their interest by signing the dotted line for a fight to take place.
Watson didn’t mention any specific fighters who he feels is ducking Khan, and he doesn’t mention the contract money these fighters are being offered to fight Khan. A lot of fighters such as Shawn Porter, Keith Thurman, Robert Guerrero, Devon Alexander and Kell Brook have all said in that recent past that they’d be interested in fighting Khan. Read the rest of this entry »
By Chris Williams: Last Saturday night’s clash between WBA/WBC welterweight champion Floyd Mayweather Jr (47-0, 26 KOs) and Marcos Maidana (35-5, 31 KOs) was a huge success at the gate with the fight generating a whopping $15 million with 14,859 tickets sold for their fight at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas, Nevada, according to Dan Rafael.
The final totals in cash generated for the rematch was precisely $14,899,150, making it the 5th highest gate in Las Vegas history.
The pay-per-view totals are still pending, but there’s been a lot of people coming out with guesses for how much made. The reality is no one knows and they’re not going to know until Showtime releases the information. Boxing fans need to sit back and stop believing everything they’re hearing from all the rumors floating around out there in cyberspace. Read the rest of this entry »
By Raj Parmar: Rafael Garcia, the long-time corner man of pound for pound king Floyd Mayweather, has officially announced that he will no longer be a part of Mayweather’s future fights in a corner man capacity. Garcia served as cut-man for Floyd for many years and also was in charge of wrapping Floyd’s hands but is now ready to retire from the sport at 85 years old.
Mayweather himself as well as other members of Floyd’s camp have always been quick to praise Garcia and lauded him as the best cut-man in the game. This past weekend’s fight between Mayweather and Marcos Maidana saw some changes though in the regular procedures for how Floyd prepares for a fight, as Garcia was not the one to wrap Floyd’s hands. Another member of Mayweather’s camp named Bob Ware wrapped Garcia’s hands. Read the rest of this entry »
(Photo credit: Photo Credit: Philip Sharkey) By Scott Gilfoid: The recently twice beaten #4 WBC George Groves (19-2, 15 KOs) will be looking to end his two-fight losing streak on Saturday night against EBU 168lb strap holder Christopher Rebrasse at the Wembley Arena in London, UK. Groves weighed in at 167.4 pounds at Friday’s weigh-in. Rebrasse, 28, weighed in at a slim 167.5 pounds.
This is kind of a make or break fight for the 26-year-old Groves because the World Boxing Council are already throwing him a bone by letting him fight for an WBC super middleweight eliminator bout against Rebrasse off of back to back knockout losses. Read the rest of this entry »
By Raj Parmar: The Nevada State Athletic Commission will bring in pound for pound champion Floyd Mayweather Jr in for questioning after reviewing footage shown in the All Access series that previewed Mayweather’s rematch with Marcos Maidana. The commission did not look too fondly on the sparring sessions Floyd staged in his gym along with some images of him with marijuana in his immediate vicinity.
“On Sunday, I watched the [All Access] episodes when they were sent to me by another commissioner,” NSAC chairman Francisco Aguilar told espn.co.uk, “I was watching the part with the sparring sessions. Our main concern is the health and safety of the fighters and not just on fight night, but also in sparring and in training.” Read the rest of this entry »
By Scott Gilfoid: Matchroom Sport promoter Eddie Hearn is predicting that Amir Khan will come up dry in his hopes for getting a big payday fight against WBA/WBC welterweight champion Floyd Mayweather Jr in May of 2015.
If Khan doesn’t get the fight with Mayweather in May, then he’s not going to get a fight against him in September of 2015 either, because Khan has Ramadan at that time. May 2015 is pretty much the end of the line for Khan in terms of him getting a fight against Mayweather. If it doesn’t happen at that time, then there’s next to no chance that Mayweather will bother fighting Khan in 2016 if Mayweather even continues his career. He’s talking about retiring at the end of 2015. As such, it’s either May 2015 or not at all for Khan. Read the rest of this entry »
By Allan Fox: ESPN’s Dan Rafael says that his sources are saying that last Saturday’s Floyd Mayweather Jr vs. Marcos Maidana fight pulled in close to 900,000 pay per view buys on Showtime PPV. However, it’s still far too early to know for sure what the eventual PPV numbers will be for the fight. Read the rest of this entry »
By Raj Parmar: Early projections are starting to come in regarding the financial performance of the rematch between Floyd Mayweather Jr and Marcos Maidana that took place over this past weekend. As per Kevin Iole of sports.yahoo.com, the fight has generated 925,000 pay per view buys based on satellite and cable tracking trends.
If this figure is accurate, the rematch has performed better than the first fight which was said to have accumulated 900,000 buys. Read the rest of this entry »